In 1830 the Pontchartrain rail road was built along Elysian Fields to the lake, with half of its route through lands owned by Bernard Marigny. To accommodate settlers, Marigny and his cousin, Nicholas d’Estrehan subdivided the backlands of Faubourg Marigny. A plantation chapel here was the beginning of Annunciation Church. Among Cathedral priests serving the chapel was Monseigneur de Janson, founder of “Les Dames de la Providence,” who opened nearby a widows’ asylum. Among distinguished pastors of the Parish since its establishment in 1844 were Fr. Antoine Durier (1860-1885) who later was Bishop of Natchitoches (1885-1904), and auxiliary Bishop Gustave A. Rouxel (1888-1908).